Duckbill Applique Scissors by Klasses
"They Laughed when I Tried these weird scissors,
But when they saw what I could do with them..."
If you're looking at these Duck-bill Scissors, chances are...
- You are learning to make handbags, and some for class.
- You do a variety of projects, and often need to trim carefully in tricky areas.
- You're sick & tired of accidentally snipping a bit too far - there's got to be an easier way!
You're Not Alone. Ask anyone who deals with tirmming off in intricate areas.
There is NOTHING more frustrating than accidentally snipping into the wrong places!
Whether you're making hand bags, clothes, applique or working with lace, there are times when you need to reduce bulk at the seams, cut away background fabric, or trimseam allwances before turning, it is easy to accidentally snip into the "good" part of your project....
"You can probably see why these are sometimes called Pelican-bill scissors..... they are incredibly useful for appliqu� and grading seams.
The wide bill of the scissors slides along the layer(s) below and holds it down so it doesn't get snipped.
Plus, everytime you look in your scissor drawer you can giggle a little since they're so funny looking."
- Kim, "The Misadventures of Mub"
What would it be like to NEVER have to struggle with cumbersome shears in delicate places...
And NO more Oooops from accidental cuts and rips, Ever Again?
But the first step in creating professional finishing is having the right tools.
The Secret Weapon of accident-free trimming is a pair of Duckbill Scissors!
The funny shape blade make a big difference - take a look!
Here's a little bit of insider information...
Having worked for a decade or so behind the scene in the clothing industry, I was formally trained as a Fashion Designer - and later spent 10 years teaching others the joy of sewing. I like to share insider tricks, and I believe in doing things properly.
Now, let me share a little confession...
I am a recent convert - having never hear of these scissors before.
I discoved these scissors when attending an awesome bag making workshop (by Nicole Mallalieu, of "You Sew Girl!" fame, and the Hand Bag Queen herself).
You see, to make hand bags properly - so that you end up with a "handmade" bag rather than a "home made" bag (quoting Nicole Mallalieu herself) - you need to use multiple layers of GOOD interfacing.
Of course, this creates bulk in the seams - which means you will have lumpy seams that are hard to sew and and even harder on the eyes. Oh no.
That means you really have no choice but to trim the interfacing layers away, but leaving the outer fabric layer intact so you have some seam allowance to work with.....
Sounds fiddly? I thought so myself.
Nicole handed me a pair of funny looking scissors.
They felt surprisingly heavy, and sharp. The silly looking "beak" protected the area you want to keep, while keeping the sharp blade precisely in the area you intend to trim. The rest was history.
I realised how easy it was with the right scissors - and how difficult it would be if you use the wrong scissors. Now I know I will never look back.....
Because I got myself a pair of Duckbill Scissors!
Did you say "Duckbill"...??!!
Why the funny shape?
Also referred to as "Pelican Scissors" or "Applique Scissors", they were originally made for rug workers.
You see, the duck bill (or pelican bill, if you like) part is flat so the rug workers could cut the loops of the rug evenly. The bend makes the blade slip right along the edge where they cutting the piles.
So how do these duckbill scissors help me with my sewing projects?
Glad you asked :-)
These specially designed paddle-shaped blade pushes away the bottom layer of fabric, embroidery backing, or interfacing by providing a clear cutting path.
The "duckbill" part of the scissors keeps (and protects) the lower layer of fabric away from the upper to allow close cutting with precision and control - that means you will happily trim bits away without any worries!
Also, the offset handle creates a comfortable hand position above your work surface, and its unique angle allows easy access to hard-to-reach areas.
I was amazed at how comfortable these scissors are, and how quickly I got used to them!
Get Some for Yourself Now.
Now, take a close look at these scissors.....
- Made of solid stainless steel - they are easy to clean and designed to last!
- Speacially made Knife Edge blades to cut layers of fabric through like butter. No kidding.
- Ergononic handles and decent, finger-friendly finger holes, these scissors are 14.5 cm (or 5 3/4" inch) - made for real crafter's hands!
- Made in Italy by skilled artisans, enjoy effortless cutting with specially forged knife edge blades.
Cleaning & Care
To keep your scissors in top condition, a bit of common sense and regular cleaning is all it takes.
- Clean the blades regularly with a soft cloth with some white spirit.
- Apply a drop of sewing machine oil to the joint from time to time and wipe off any excess.
- Take care not to cut pins or metal objects.
- Do not allow glue or sticky substance to be left on blades - this inhibit the cutting action.
- Always store scissors in clean, dry place.
- For best results, do not use these for cutting paper - mark them for fabric cutting only.
What are these duckbill scissors good for?
- When making handbags, use them to reduce bulk by trimming layers of interfacing away within your seams - and you won't accidentally snip into the wrong parts!
- Need matching pipings? Make your own. Cut your bias strips wider than you need, then trim away the excess after you've enclosed the piping cord. Easy.
- Cut out applique shapes before fusing or needle-turning - having such sharp blades makes the job easy and painless - no matter how many small bits you need!
- When working with lace for lingerie etc, use them to trim away background fabric to reveal the lace effect without damaging your delicate (and expensive) lace
- Love machine embroidery but HATE removing stabilizers and loose threads? Give these pelican scissors a go - they will snip away ONLY what you DON'T want.
Why Not - Add to Cart Now.
*Photos courtesy of (clockwise from top left): craftstylish, modern domestic, sewiquilt, obsessively stitching*
What the pelican scissors do is protecting the layer of fabric you are NOT cutting, while providing a sharp cutting edge with ergonomically designed handles - that means less hand-fatigue, no annoying accidents - and a professional finish!
You will end up using these scissors for everything (I did).... because you can now get all the fiddly bits trimmed up - quickly and easily - then simply enjoy stress-free sewing!
What else can I do with these scissors?
See what a fellow sewist gets up to with her duckbill scissors:
"I use them for almost everything. They're perfect for cutting shapes, cut-away and mole applique and for those sad moments when you need to cut mats out of your cat's fur.
Momo thinks it's a dreadful idea, but then again, he doesn't want to be brushed either.
Joking aside, and the cat trim is not a joke, they're perfect for cutting an edge you need to stitch around.
The closer you can cut the edge, the tighter and neater your stitched edging around it will be."
- Ellen Anne Eddy, "Practical Thread Magic"
The response for discovering the Duckbill Scissors has been phenomenal.
Here is what other people are saying about it:
"I do a lot of machine applique and have struggled endlessly with wisps and tufts at the cut edge. This tool is essential for clean clear beautiful edges.
Don't wait like I did, buy it now - it will change your life!"
- Rose, a Happy Customer
"I purchased these scissors for a project I was doing with a reverse applique.
They worked great and cut through the knit fabric with no problem at all and they weren't too heavy in my hand, which was a big plus.
They were very comfortable to use once I got the hang of the odd shape. I would recommend these scissors if you do appliques, for sure."
- Belinda, a Happy Customer
"I've done all forms of needle crafts all my life but have never owned applique scissors until these.
Now I wish I'd discovered them years ago.
Trimming goes much quicker and there's no worry of "accidentally" cutting into a design or background if used properly, letting the large blade be your shield and guide, making them useful for any close trimming, not just applique."
- Liz, a Happy Customer
Keen to try them for yourself?
Simply Add to Cart To Get Yours Now!
Grab yours now and you can experience:
- Trim tricky areas like a pro - Done Quickly & Easily.
Time and Get your project done - already!
- Do it Right in the first place - so you can Avoid headaches :-)
- A sense of achievement, because you've solved your own problem.
- No more frustration - just your finished project and satisfaction!
- Be proud and tell everyone: "I made this!"
So the Only Question is:
Should you get just ONE pair for yourself,
or Grab a Second pair for a friend?
Simply Click The Add To Cart Button To Get Yours Now!
We know sewing. But you know best.
Sometimes things don't work out according to plan. Not to worry - we have a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee to support you.
Your No-Nonsense 60 Day
100% Money Back Guarantee*
In the unlikely event when the item doesn't meet your expectation, be sure to contact us within sixty (60) days.
The benefits under this Guarantee are in addition to other rights and remedies under a law in relation to the product you have purchased.
We want you to have a plenty of time to feel absolutely certain that you have what you've paid for!
If you're not 100% happy simply let us know and return the item in original condition and packaging.
We'll send you a full refund (excluding postage) promptly and courteously - No Questions Asked.
So you can be sure you'll be happy with your purchases!
*Looking for the fine print? Check our terms and conditions for details.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Sew Much Easier users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.
Can't wait for it to arrive? We will get it to you ASAP.
Prompt Shipping - Your package will be sent promptly once payment is cleared. Usually it will be dispatched the next business day.
Combined Shipping - Want to save even more? We are happy to combine shipping for multiple items in your cart... it gets worked out when you check out.
Packaging and Sending - All your items will be packed well. We do everything we can to ensure your package arrives safely. In the unlikely event something does go wrong, simply contact us and we will do our best to resolve your concers.
Packaging Materials - We support "green policies" and recycle clean packaging where possible. Sometimes brand names on packaging may not necessarily match the content.
Simply click "Add to Cart" now and complete checkout so we can get it on it's way to you.
Would you like more information on this item?
Can we clarify anything else for you at all?
Please feel free to use the form below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 88 11 59.
Your message will be responded to ASAP, usually within 24 hours during business hours, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm Australian Eastern Standard time.